The Prairie du Chien Fire Department is a volunteer ﬁre department with a full-time Fire Chief. The firefighters are paid a salary for the year with bonuses added for rank and/or percentages made for training and fire calls. The Prairie du Chien Fire Department is looking for people that have a desire to help keep the City of Prairie du Chien safe and help mitigate emergencies that arise. The Fire Department has openings for people that live within 15 minutes of the fire station. Are you interested?
Please read on!
Volunteer Firefighter Requirements
- Valid Wisconsin Driver License
- High School Diploma
- 18 Years of Age
- Live within 15 minutes of the Prairie du Chien Fire station
- Pass our application process
- Pass an interview process
- Pass a medical physical
- Pass an employment background check and reference check
- Pass the Police and Fire Commission evaluation
- Have ample time to give to provide a very needed service for our community
- Have a sense of dedication and willingness to be part of a professional team
lf you make the commitment, meet the above requirements and are hired as a ﬁreﬁghter there are certain educational requirements. They are as follows:
- Entry Level Firefighter Class-60 hours
- Firefighter 1 Certification class-Additional 36 hours with a written and practical Wisconsin State Certification Test
These classes are usually held in the evenings and/or on Saturdays which are provided through Southwest Wisconsin Technical College. These classes are paid for by the Fire Department. As with everything else, things change over time. The same has held true for the ﬁre service. It is becoming increasingly hard to find people willing to take on the challenge of being a volunteer firefighter. BUT our community needs YOUll
If interested or have any questions about being a volunteer ﬁreﬁghter for the Prairie du Chien Fire Department, please call the Fire Station at 608.326.4365 Monday through Friday from 8:00am-4: 30 pm. You can also stop by the Fire Station (720 E. Blackhawk Ave.) during the same hours. You can email the Fire Chief at firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to any fireﬁghter about getting an application.